Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Currently re-reading and ranting

Sister Island Trilogy


I read these books years ago and happened to find them in my giant pile of romances I've kept over the years. These books make me miss friendships I had and just tugs at the heart strings. Plus, you know. Romances about witches. Can't go wrong there.

The Mr: What's the book about?
Me: Witches.
The Mr: Figures. I like witches. Sexy. But just one.

::le sigh:: How can I resist?

I like Nora Robert's witchy books for the simple reason that she puts actual elements into them that certain Pagan paths actually follow. No, we can't light a balefire without matches or control the weather patterns (at least I can't, don't know about the rest of you!) but the core is there and I appreciate that.

I was thinking how lucky I am to have a man in my life who asks whether or not I need more candles in certain colors, or asks to join me in a ritual or to celebrate a holiday. Not because he believes in the same things I do, but because he loves and respects me enough to want to be a part of it if only because it's important to me. He tells me he thinks what I believe in is beautiful and in doing that makes me feel cherished and just honored, really, to have him in my life.

Because let's face it, many people who feel pulled toward not only a Pagan path but any religion that is different than the one they were raised in usually ends up heart broken when someone pushes them away because of it. Like parents who don't have enough good sense to embrace the free thinking person their child is becoming. Some get disowned, or made fun of, others never tell family members their beliefs, and I say why the hell should you have to hide who you really are and what you feel?

I just don't understand why people get so up in arms when they hear the word Pagan come out of someones mouth. Or the Pagans who go ape shit on Christians just because they're Christians so they must be baaad and close minded.

Now my personal beliefs are pretty basic. I believe in a higher power. Could be male, female, both, neither, or just an energy that can do whatever the hell it wants. I don't know. And if I did know once in a past life, I don't know anymore. I won't know/remember until my time in this life is over. I can only guess (and isn't that what religion really is? Different opinions on the unknown?).

But I do believe something is out there. I can feel it. I've always pictured this energy as a quiet, even tempered and loving woman. So I call this energy mother, because that's the feeling I get when I think about "her".

I believe everything has energy and spirit and that it's to be respected and honored for what it is, whether its another creature of your species or not. Compassion, people. It would make the world go around a bit smoother than it does.

I do work spells on occasion which is basically a prayer like any other just with an extra kick of energy from one of the elements, or a particular herb, candle, stone, time of day, etc. I prefer stones and herbs. The closer to coming out of the earth without change the better I feel about it. I meditate, or at least try to. It helps when making charms and I find they work better when I'm more focused.

I talk to trees and animals, I've had dreams that came true the next day, I've had dreams that feel so real I wake up crying and when I can't remember them it feels like a part of me I just found again is now missing. I've been able to say something right before it was said on a show I've never seen before (like a person's full name on a new episode of Law and Order...think I actually freaked out Nick with that one), and I believe in reincarnation.

I also believe we can have different types of soul mates in our lives, some the same from one life to the next, and not all of them are human. Also, not all of them positive. We learn from all angles.

I believe everyone is a psychic in some way, but the ability was just lost over time because in our culture those types of things are seen as being fake or strange. I believe in ghosts and spirits and I believe I've spoken with a few, mostly in messages that I personally don't believe were coincidences, or by feeling or hearing them (there was a little girl in our apartment in Florida. Even Nick heard her from time to time, singing in our laundry room. Took him awhile to get used to, haha.).

And not all are human, I think spirits/energies who were in animal bodies sometimes hang around too. There is no "animals have no souls" crap with me. In my opinion, all are equal in their own way.

Some people may not agree with me on some things or just think I'm plain crazy and that's fine. Our differences are what makes us unique and interesting to each other. It's all about learning from different experiences, and not always our own. Take what you feel is useful to you and discard the rest if you wish. Do what works for you, but don't forget to respect others and how they feel about things.

We're not all meant to fit in a neat little mold. Look deep into yourself and ask why you believe what you believe. Is it because it's how you actually feel? Or because you were raised that way so you stick with your comfort zone and what you know? Picking yourself apart can be scary but exhilarating at the same time.


Warmth.

~*K*~

No comments:

Post a Comment